The Order was named after Hubert, the patron saint of hunters and fishermen. St. Hubert is also the Patron of archers, trappers, fur hunters, mathematics, blacksmiths and dog trainers.
In 1938, after Austria was absorbed by the German Reich, Herman Göring demanded membership on the Order and executed the Grand Prior when he was denied. At the end of the World War surviving members of the Order, were authorized by Halvor O. Ekern, chief political advisor of the US Armed Forces in Austria to use their sporting guns to provide winter food to the rural population, avoiding not only famine but helping to save the country from falling behind the Iron Curtain.
The Order was Restituted on May 1st 1950 by Albert Franz Messany at the request of Chancellor Figi of Austria. In order to better reflect its new multi-national character it was redesignated as International Order of St. Hubertus.